Former Student Sues School For Bullying, Harassment
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 18 2012 2:40 PM ET
A recent high school graduate in Kansas has filed a lawsuit against the school district alleging that school officials failed to protect him from bullying and harrassment he suffered due to his perceived sexual orientation, reports KCTV5.com.
The lawsuit filed by the unidentified man, who graduated from Blue Valley High School in 2010, states, "Fellow male students repeatedly assault (the plaintiff) in the school locker room and shower, such as rubbing against him, nude, in the shower in a sexually aggressive manner, pulling down his pants, exposing his genitals to other students, snapping him on the buttocks with towels and spraying a full shampoo bottle of urine on him while in the locker room shower."
KCTV reports "the graduate is suing the district, principals, vice principals and other district employees. According to the lawsuit, the young man attended Overland Trail Middle School from 2003-2006 and Blue Valley High School from 2006-2010."
The former student says he reported the abuse to teachers, safety officers, and administrators, who either ignored the alleged assault or their actions were "wholly inadequate and ineffective." He also alleges that female students who were bullied were protected by teachers and administrators, but he didn't receive the same protection due to his gender and perceived sexual orientation.
The school district released a statement in response to the lawsuit, saying, "While the district is diligently reviewing the information, as a practice the district does not comment on pending litigation. The safety and social well being of our students is a top priority in every school and every classroom, every day."
Watch the KCTV5 coverage below.
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go To Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News 'Turn Back Time' For Cher's Birthday 18 min 15 sec ago
- Women Texas Judge Says Lesbian Mom Can't Live With Partner and Keep Custody of Kids 23 min 33 sec ago
- Women Bullies in California Chop Off Teen Lesbian's Hair in Possible Hate Crime 24 min 38 sec ago
- Art Dept More Photos From Jesse Tyler Ferguson's Advocate Cover Shoot 33 min 56 sec ago
- Women AMC's Cult Fave The Killing Adds Scrappy Lesbian Character to its Roster 40 min 22 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Gay Rapper Le1f Has a Steamy 'Spa Day' 51 min 49 sec ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy 56 min 38 sec ago