Former Student Sues School For Bullying, Harassment
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 18 2012 1:40 PM ET
A recent high school graduate in Kansas has filed a lawsuit against the school district alleging that school officials failed to protect him from bullying and harrassment he suffered due to his perceived sexual orientation, reports KCTV5.com.
The lawsuit filed by the unidentified man, who graduated from Blue Valley High School in 2010, states, "Fellow male students repeatedly assault (the plaintiff) in the school locker room and shower, such as rubbing against him, nude, in the shower in a sexually aggressive manner, pulling down his pants, exposing his genitals to other students, snapping him on the buttocks with towels and spraying a full shampoo bottle of urine on him while in the locker room shower."
KCTV reports "the graduate is suing the district, principals, vice principals and other district employees. According to the lawsuit, the young man attended Overland Trail Middle School from 2003-2006 and Blue Valley High School from 2006-2010."
The former student says he reported the abuse to teachers, safety officers, and administrators, who either ignored the alleged assault or their actions were "wholly inadequate and ineffective." He also alleges that female students who were bullied were protected by teachers and administrators, but he didn't receive the same protection due to his gender and perceived sexual orientation.
The school district released a statement in response to the lawsuit, saying, "While the district is diligently reviewing the information, as a practice the district does not comment on pending litigation. The safety and social well being of our students is a top priority in every school and every classroom, every day."
Watch the KCTV5 coverage below.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 1 hour 55 min ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2 hours 39 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2 hours 55 min ago
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM