Emory U Gives Chick-fil-A The Boot
BY Michelle Garcia
March 12 2013 2:07 PM ET
Emory University in Atlanta will not have a Chick-fil-A on campus next semester. The school newspaper, The Emory Wheel, broke the news on Twitter last week that the sandwich chain would leave to make way for renovations.
Emory's LGBT alumni group sent a letter to campus president James Wagner after Chick-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy admitted he and his company were "guilty as charged" when it came to actively opposing marriage equality. Seven campus LGBT groups followed suit in October, and the student association passed a resolution in December urging the college to reconsider Chick-fil-A as a campus venue, according to the Georgia Voice.
In December, the administration issued a statement touting its LGBT-inclusive atmosphere, and added that Cathy's statements do not reflect the "values of access, inclusion, and equity." The statement, however, also added that Cathy was free to express his views.
The university had been working with dining facility manager Sodexo, to evaluate whether they would continue using Chick-fil-A. The December statement said any changes to Emory's dining options would not take place until Fall 2013.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 31 min 37 sec ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 54 min 29 sec ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 1 hour 1 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 1 hour 10 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 1 hour 12 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 1 hour 20 min ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2 hours 7 min ago