Scout Uniforms Not Allowed at Utah Pride Parade, Says Scoutmaster
BY Neal Broverman
June 01 2013 11:48 AM ET
Rick Barnes, the chief scouting executive for the Great Salt Lake Council, is warning Boy Scouts they will face repercussions if they dare to wear their uniforms to the Utah Pride Parade on Sunday.
Peter Brownstein, a straight Scouting enthusiast, began organizing LGBT and LGBT-supportive Scouts to take part in the Pride festivities, specifically the parade. Barnes found out about the participation and made it clear he does not want the Boy Scouts affiliated with the Pride festival.
"We as a Scouting movement do not advocate any social or political position, so I reminded Mr. Brownstein that we do not wear uniforms at an event like this," Barnes told NBC News. "We do not, as Boy Scouts, show support for any social or political position. We're neutral. If he wants to attend the parade and others do that are Scouts or Scouters, they're welcome to do so as private citizens wearing whatever they want except their uniform."
Brownstein says he is still considering wearing his uniform on Sunday, as is 18-year-old Scout Kenji Mikesell. As the Scouts recently decided to allow gay youths to participate in Scouting (though LGBT adults are still banned from being leaders), Mikesell says seeing a uniform in the parade would be a "welcoming" sign for "gay kids getting involved in Scouting."
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: Separate or Together?
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM