Gay Teen Science Prodigy Jack Andraka Profiled by 60 Minutes
BY Jase Peeples
October 15 2013 12:15 PM ET
Jack Andraka, the gay teen who became known as the “Boy Wonder” of science after his work in developing a new method to detect pancreatic cancer earned him the grand prize at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, was profiled in the latest episode of 60 Minutes.
However, while the news program managed to focus on everything from Andraka’s theories to his family life, the fact that he is gay was conveniently omitted from the science prodigy’s profile.
Though Andraka’s story is inspiring regardless, 60 Minutes’ failure to include any mention of his sexuality is a missed an opportunity to both fight negative stereotypes and offer hope to LGBT youth who are underrepresented in the media compared to their straight counterparts.
The 60 Minutes segment can be seen in the first video below, but we have also included VocativVideo’s profile of the 16-year-old prodigy from August, which includes Andraka talking about his feelings as a gay person in the science.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM