Shirtless UK Footballer Says Sport Would Welcome Out Player
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 04 2013 6:01 PM ET
English soccer star Matt Jarvis, who plays winger for West Ham United, appeared shirtless on the February cover of popular UK gay magazine Attitude, calling for acceptance for gay teammates.
"It's everyday life. It's not something that's going to be a shock," he said. "I'm sure there are many footballers who are gay, but when they decide to actually come out and say it, it is a different story. I'm sure it's one that they've thought about many times. But it's a hard thing for them to do."
Jarvis, who is married to a woman, told Attitude he believes his sport would be tolerant and accepting of an openly gay player.
"There'd be support everywhere within the football community," Jarvis insisted. "Whether it be players, fans or within the [Professional Footballers Association]. There would definitely be groups of people who would be supportive and help them through it."
Jarvis is the third straight-identified footballer to appear on the magazine's cover, after David Beckham graced the cover in 2002, followed by Freddie Ljungberg in 2006, according to The Guardian.
The Guardian also reports that black footballer Justin Fashanu came out in 1990, but suffered "Extended abuse after coming out," and committed suicide eight years later. Since then, Swedish lower-league footballer Anton Hysen is the only other player to openly identify as gay, according to the Guardian.
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 42 min 21 sec ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 2 hours 11 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM