Indiana Pacers Player Fined $75K for 'No Homo,' Profane Comments
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 03 2013 12:15 PM ET
Indiana Pacers center Roy Hibbert has been fined $75,000 by the NBA for his homophobic and vulgar comments at a press conference on Saturday following the Pacers' 91-77 victory over the Miami Heat, reports USA Today.
Hibbert was contrite when asked about his defense of Heat player LeBron James, saying "no homo." He also called the media "motherfuckers."
By Sunday, Hibbert had apologized and reached out to gay basketball player Jason Collins, asking him on Twitter if "I can get a follow. Would like to discuss something with you." It's not clear if the two players corresponded.
In a statement from the Pacers, Hibbert expressed "deep regret over my choice of words last night. I am apologizing for insensitive remarks made during the postgame press conference after our victory over Miami Saturday night. They were disrespectful and offensive and not a reflection of my personal views. I used a slang term that is not appropriate in any setting, private or public, and the language I used definitely has no place in a public forum, especially over live television. I apologize to those who I have offended, to our fans and to the Pacers' organization."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 45 min 58 sec ago
- Russia WATCH: Moscow LGBT Demonstrators Attacked 48 min 29 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lost Girl's Zoie Palmer Thanks Female Partner at Canadian Film Awards 1 hour 1 min ago
- Music Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia 1 hour 4 min ago
- Religion Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues 1 hour 6 min ago
- Theater PHOTOS: Terrence McNally's Mothers and Sons 1 hour 53 min ago
- Religion Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBTs 2 hours 8 min ago