Indiana Pacers Player Fined $75K for 'No Homo,' Profane Comments
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 03 2013 11:15 AM ET
Indiana Pacers center Roy Hibbert has been fined $75,000 by the NBA for his homophobic and vulgar comments at a press conference on Saturday following the Pacers' 91-77 victory over the Miami Heat, reports USA Today.
Hibbert was contrite when asked about his defense of Heat player LeBron James, saying "no homo." He also called the media "motherfuckers."
By Sunday, Hibbert had apologized and reached out to gay basketball player Jason Collins, asking him on Twitter if "I can get a follow. Would like to discuss something with you." It's not clear if the two players corresponded.
In a statement from the Pacers, Hibbert expressed "deep regret over my choice of words last night. I am apologizing for insensitive remarks made during the postgame press conference after our victory over Miami Saturday night. They were disrespectful and offensive and not a reflection of my personal views. I used a slang term that is not appropriate in any setting, private or public, and the language I used definitely has no place in a public forum, especially over live television. I apologize to those who I have offended, to our fans and to the Pacers' organization."
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: Separate or Together?
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM