Indiana Pacers Player Fined $75K for 'No Homo,' Profane Comments
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 03 2013 11:15 AM ET
Indiana Pacers center Roy Hibbert has been fined $75,000 by the NBA for his homophobic and vulgar comments at a press conference on Saturday following the Pacers' 91-77 victory over the Miami Heat, reports USA Today.
Hibbert was contrite when asked about his defense of Heat player LeBron James, saying "no homo." He also called the media "motherfuckers."
By Sunday, Hibbert had apologized and reached out to gay basketball player Jason Collins, asking him on Twitter if "I can get a follow. Would like to discuss something with you." It's not clear if the two players corresponded.
In a statement from the Pacers, Hibbert expressed "deep regret over my choice of words last night. I am apologizing for insensitive remarks made during the postgame press conference after our victory over Miami Saturday night. They were disrespectful and offensive and not a reflection of my personal views. I used a slang term that is not appropriate in any setting, private or public, and the language I used definitely has no place in a public forum, especially over live television. I apologize to those who I have offended, to our fans and to the Pacers' organization."
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 19 min 39 sec ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 1 hour 20 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 2 hours 19 min ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 2 hours 20 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM