Indiana Pacers Player Fined $75K for 'No Homo,' Profane Comments
BY Sunnivie Brydum
June 03 2013 12:15 PM ET
Indiana Pacers center Roy Hibbert has been fined $75,000 by the NBA for his homophobic and vulgar comments at a press conference on Saturday following the Pacers' 91-77 victory over the Miami Heat, reports USA Today.
Hibbert was contrite when asked about his defense of Heat player LeBron James, saying "no homo." He also called the media "motherfuckers."
By Sunday, Hibbert had apologized and reached out to gay basketball player Jason Collins, asking him on Twitter if "I can get a follow. Would like to discuss something with you." It's not clear if the two players corresponded.
In a statement from the Pacers, Hibbert expressed "deep regret over my choice of words last night. I am apologizing for insensitive remarks made during the postgame press conference after our victory over Miami Saturday night. They were disrespectful and offensive and not a reflection of my personal views. I used a slang term that is not appropriate in any setting, private or public, and the language I used definitely has no place in a public forum, especially over live television. I apologize to those who I have offended, to our fans and to the Pacers' organization."
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM