Russian Priest: Colorful Shoes Make Soccer a Gay Abomination
BY Michelle Garcia
July 07 2014 3:00 PM ET
Right after Russia was knocked out of the World Cup, a Russian Orthodox priest said it doesn't matter since FIFA's major contest is a "homosexual abomination" anyway.
Priest Alexander Shumsky, a columnist for Russian People's Line, says the bright-colored shoes that football players wear are too flashy.
He writes that because the players wear pink and blue shoes, they "might as well wear women's panties or a bra." He also slams some of the "unthinkable" hairstyles as the players in the tournament, according to the Moscow Times.
"The liberal ideology of globalism clearly wants to oppose Christianity with football. I'm sure of it," Shumsky wrote. "Therefore I am glad that the Russian players have failed and, by the grace of God, no longer participate in this homosexual abomination."
Russia, which has a law that criminalizes so-called LGBT propaganda, is scheduled to play host to the World Cup in 2018.
- Reports: Dallas Cowboys Eye Michael Sam for Practice Squad
- 7 Brave Campuses for LGBT Students in the South
- Michael Sam Passed Over By Every NFL Team
- Op-ed: In The Long Run, Michael Sam Being Cut Was About Homophobia
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- Op-ed: Miley's Date Proves Homelessness Is the Real Crime