Russian Priest: Colorful Shoes Make Soccer a Gay Abomination
BY Michelle Garcia
July 07 2014 3:00 PM ET
Right after Russia was knocked out of the World Cup, a Russian Orthodox priest said it doesn't matter since FIFA's major contest is a "homosexual abomination" anyway.
Priest Alexander Shumsky, a columnist for Russian People's Line, says the bright-colored shoes that football players wear are too flashy.
He writes that because the players wear pink and blue shoes, they "might as well wear women's panties or a bra." He also slams some of the "unthinkable" hairstyles as the players in the tournament, according to the Moscow Times.
"The liberal ideology of globalism clearly wants to oppose Christianity with football. I'm sure of it," Shumsky wrote. "Therefore I am glad that the Russian players have failed and, by the grace of God, no longer participate in this homosexual abomination."
Russia, which has a law that criminalizes so-called LGBT propaganda, is scheduled to play host to the World Cup in 2018.
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Living Trans, From Iran to New York City
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- WATCH: Daily Show Correspondent Takes on Antigay Ark. Pastor