Meet the 2012 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 14 2012 9:43 AM ET
Wells Fargo Point Scholar
Philosophy and Public Policy
In middle school in Houston, Texas, Patrick Oathout already excelled in speech and debate. By the end of middle school, he ranked third in the nation in Impromptu Speaking.
Oathout came out as a sophomore in high school to a welcoming family and community. But an unfortunate experience at a summer job with a “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy for teenagers rattled Oathout’s coming out. Determined to move forward, he began mentoring his peers through their own coming out experiences. Oathout now attends Duke University and is double majoring in philosophy and public policy. He is a student representative on Duke’s Board of Trustees, the president and founder of the Duke Colloquium Fellows, and is a founding father of Duke’s Sigma Pi fraternity. Additionally, Oathout is the first openly LGBT Duke student to be elected student body vice president.
Outside of Duke, Oathout has fought to reform the refugee resettlement process, and he has worked at refugee resettlement organizations in Durham, Washington, D.C., and Amman. Oathout has also received awards from the Clinton Global Initiative University and Duke University for his development of a mobile application for entrepreneurial refugees. After graduation, Oathout hopes to serve as a Foreign Service Officer in the State Department.
- Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 10 min 4 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 25 min 17 sec ago
- Commentary Why it's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Haitians 39 min 10 sec ago
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 41 min 50 sec ago
- Religion Church of Scotland to Allow Gay Ministers 53 min 39 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel These Grooms Met Because of a Big Blue Dog 57 min 11 sec ago
- Crime Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City 59 min 45 sec ago