Take a Look Back: Gay at the Prom
BY Michelle Garcia
June 20 2012 5:00 AM ET
Aaron Drake, 2004: This was taken at my husband Jake Drake's high school prom in Miamisburg, Ohio, during our senior year in 2004. I am on the left (in the white) and Jake is on the right (also in white). We are celebrating 10 years together this year, with four of those years legally married in the state of California. We were the only gay couple there — with our all-white tuxes and my overly waxed eyebrows. This photo was taken on the grand staircase facing the entire crowd at the prom. Besides being a bit intimidated, we were not really sure how two guys were supposed to pose for their prom photo, but I think we figured it out.
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Ex-BYU Student Assaulted, Evicted After Coming Out
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples