Ore. Father Killed on Cross-Country Walk Memorializing Gay Son
BY Sunnivie Brydum
October 10 2013 5:28 PM ET
An Oregon father who lost his gay 15-year-old son to suicide earlier this year was killed while walking across the country in an effort to educate about the impact of bullying, reports the The Denver Post.
Joe Bell, 48, launched Joe's Walk for Change in February "to educate anyone who will listen about the lasting effects of bullying," after his son, Jadin, was relentlessly bullied at school and online after coming out as gay, according to the Walk's Facebook page. The senior Bell began walking from his home in La Grande, Ore., in April, with the intent to walk to New York City, where his son had hoped to attend college.
But on Wednesday evening, Joe Bell was killed along U.S. Highway 40 in Cheyenne County, Colo., when a semi-truck driver reportedly fell asleep at the wheel and hit Bell. The driver, Kenneth Raven, 49, was cited with careless driving resulting in death, and was not injured, reports the Post.
A post on the walk's Facebook page announced Bell's death Thursday morning. "Thank you so much for all of your continued support," reads the post. "He loved everyone he came into contact with, and was so appreciative of all your support. … He will continue his journey now with Jadin. Please keep his family in your prayers and thoughts."
Find more information at LGBTQ Nation.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM