BY Advocate.com Editors
December 25 2009 10:00 AM ET
Why are you a photographer?
I love art — creating, collaboration, documentation, and the idea of capturing a moment in time, frozen forever.
What catches your eye?
Light. People. Faces. Interactions. Simplicity.
How do you choose your subjects?
Generally, when I choose my subjects, I choose them because of what I see in them. It's always something different. It could be a jawline, a tattoo, a scar, their wardrobe, or their hairstyle. I'm not the type of photographer that has to see something in someone's eyes or needs someone to be classically beautiful or strange. People are always changing and can easily become someone different in front of the lens.
How do you describe your work?
My work is always evolving. Presently, I would describe my work as honest and minimal with simple light.
What makes a good photograph to you?
A good photograph is one that makes the viewer stop. One that piques the viewer's interest and makes them feel something, anything.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
There are so many, and for so many different reasons. Off the top of my head, I would say Irving Penn for his straightforward approach to portraits and use of natural light. Paul P for his watercolors, which are just so beautiful. Hedi Slimane for his black-and-white images with their crisp lines and high contrast. Robert Mapplethorpe for his truthful portraits. Collier Schorr for her ability to bring forth her subjects' feelings with seeming ease.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 1 hour 19 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 2 hours 23 min ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM