Op-ed: What the Camera Doesn’t Show
BY Gerald McCullouch
July 26 2012 4:00 AM ET
It was months ago when our cast and crew arrived in Provincetown to recreate BearWeek, which is now, officially, yet another of my “if you haven’t — you must” life experiences.
It was a tumultuous, non-stop ride. We faced the post Irene downpour that took two days from our 11-day Provincetown shoot and forced us to cut more than 12 pages from the script on our first days of shooting. A bat flew into our main location house on our first big day of production — the first time all the key cast and crew were together — and a herd of burly men screamed and ducked like school girls from the darting critter. So we lost more and more hours to the ticking clock.
There were sleepless nights rolling into sleepless days and tense times when we thought we might not make it through to the end of principle photography without going grossly over budget — an option we didn’t have.
Our cast and crew arrived just as the beach town was beginning to close down for the season, and there were times when needed supplies were next to impossible to locate. Production vehicles got stuck in the sand as the tide came rushing in. There were missed airport connections and replaced department heads and lost luggage.
As the rainy days brought with it a September cold front like no other, we shot scenes in bathing suits with chattering teeth and froliced for hours in the intensely icy waters of the Cape Cod Bay, pretending that it was the height of summer. We shot a bonfire scene with no bonfire due to undisclosed fire codes on the beach where we were filming.
(Above: Arriving in town. Below: Chilling between takes.)
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM