Gay couple weds on U.K. morning TV
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 15 2001 1:00 AM ET
This Morning, a news program airing on ITV in the United Kingdom, featured a live gay wedding for their Valentines Day broadcast, even though current U.K. law does not recognize same-sex marriages. Neil Morris married his partner, Mark Jinks, with This Morning cohosts Richard Madeley and Judy Finnigan as guests. The Rev. Jonathan Blake of the Society for Independent Christian Ministry officiated over the service. The men wore dark morning suits and said their vows to a backing tape of Celine Dions My Heart Will Go On. In the eyes of the couple and the community, this is a legal wedding, said the Reverend Blake. In time, society will catch up. True to daytime TV form, Morriss mother, Jane, was given a makeover prior to the ceremony.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages
- WATCH: In Pat Robertson's Latest Diatribe, Gays Are 'Terrorists'
- #TBT: Halloween Exhibitionism
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men