Gay couple weds on U.K. morning TV
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 15 2001 1:00 AM ET
This Morning, a news program airing on ITV in the United Kingdom, featured a live gay wedding for their Valentines Day broadcast, even though current U.K. law does not recognize same-sex marriages. Neil Morris married his partner, Mark Jinks, with This Morning cohosts Richard Madeley and Judy Finnigan as guests. The Rev. Jonathan Blake of the Society for Independent Christian Ministry officiated over the service. The men wore dark morning suits and said their vows to a backing tape of Celine Dions My Heart Will Go On. In the eyes of the couple and the community, this is a legal wedding, said the Reverend Blake. In time, society will catch up. True to daytime TV form, Morriss mother, Jane, was given a makeover prior to the ceremony.
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend