New York magazine struggles to find cover subjects for gay issue
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 17 2001 12:00 AM ET
The New York Posts Page Six column reports that dozens of influential gays and lesbians turned down an invitation from New York magazine to appear on the cover of its upcoming gay-themed issue. The original idea was to have the cover featuring gays in positions of power and accomplishment in a variety of fields, including finance, arts, sports, and fashion. Getting those power players to pose for the cover, however, has been a challengeamong those who turned down New York are Sandra Bernhard, Jann Wenner, and Lily Tomlin, not to mention, per the column, longtime gay rights champion Rosie ODonnell and Sean Hayes, who plays a gay character on Will & Grace. Those who said yes include Nathan Lane, Edward Albee, Interview editor Ingrid Sischy, and designers Marc Jacobs and Michael Kors, but since the group of participants wasnt diverse enough, the magazine now plans a surprise alternative concept.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View