Westenhoefer deemed improper for Carlow College stage
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 15 2001 1:00 AM ET
Responding to comic Suzanne Westenhoefers claim that the cancellation of her March 18 performance date at Pittsburghs Carlow College is due to her sexual orientation, Carlow College president Sister Grace Ann Geibel has replied with a faxed three-paragraph statement, reports Bill Schackner of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Geibel states that although the institution values diversity and respect for others, Westenhoefer is not protected by the principles of academic freedom since the event is not a matter of academic freedom, as neither our faculty nor our students were involved in the sponsorship of this event. The president did not address precisely which aspects of Westenhoefers act she finds objectionable. The comic admits to being stunned and regards the whole affair as a slap in my face.
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- North Carolina Governor to Veto Antigay Measure