Priscilla filmmaker set to shoot another drag-queen comedy
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 23 2001 1:00 AM ET
Stephan Elliott, the filmmaker responsible for the 1994 Australian hit film The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, is preparing to shoot another movie featuring men in torturous footwear, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Singing Margarida is to be based on a true story that happened to a friend of Joe Simon, producer of the film. The plot concerns a Brazilian business student who returns to Rio de Janeiro from the United States for a family wedding, along with his wife, a woman he married to get his green card. Following closely behind is the students boyfriend, a singer who arrives in Rio masquerading as a woman. Elliott states, People have been begging me for years to go back and put the dresses on, [but] I dont want to repeat myself, so Ive been trying to find a new angle, and I finally found one. What Notting Hill was to Four Weddings and a Funeral, Singing Margarida will be to Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Shooting will take place in both Los Angeles and Brazil.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- t.A.T.u. Singer OK with Lesbians, But Being Gay Is 'Unmanly'
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- WATCH: Straight Dad Punched For Calling Out Woman's Antigay Slurs
- Hot Sheet: Openly Serving, Openly Loving