Elton John gifts gay mayor
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 08 2001 12:00 AM ET
Daniel Stewart, the mayor of Plattsburgh, N.Y., and the first openly gay mayor elected in that state, received a surprise gift from Elton John. When Stewart went to attend the Billy JoelElton John concert in Montreal, one of Johns representatives handed him free passes for front row seats to the show. Stewart said, I didnt know what was going on, and I dont know how they knew I was even going to be there. Apparently somebody had caught Stewarts radio interview earlier in which hed mentioned he was going. Stewart had met Elton John in 1996 at the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center during a ceremony honoring the musician. Stewart remarked, Elton is a great guy, and I really admire the work hes done for causes, especially for AIDS.
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- RuPaul Slays in New Video 'Modern Love'
- Artist Spotlight: Ben McNutt
- 11 Sweet Celebrity Tweets Celebrating Ireland's Marriage Equality Win