Michael Stipe comes out, sort of
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 15 2001 12:00 AM ET
REM band member Michael Stipe revealed in an interview with Time magazine that hes been in a relationship with an amazing man for the past three years, although he will not identify the man other than to say he is not a celebrity. Stipe says he now feels comfortable discussing his sexuality and describing himself as a queer artist. Stipe had previously waffled on the topic of his sexuality and would only go so far as to say that he had engaged in relationships with both men and women. While this new revelation falls short of full disclosure, several media outlets have interpreted this latest interview as Stipes official coming-out.
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- For YouTube's 10th Birthday, the 10 Best LGBT Videos
- RuPaul Slays in New Video 'Modern Love'