Janis Ian headlines Freedom Sings in New York
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 21 2001 12:00 AM ET
Lesbian singer Janis Ian will be headlining Freedom Sings, the First Amendment Centers special series of concerts celebrating freedom of expression through music, at the Bottom Line in Manhattans Greenwich Village. The bill also includes Marty Balin and Paul Kantner of Jefferson Starship as well as singer-songwriter Tom Paxton. The evening will be hosted by Dominic Chianese (The Sopranos), and a portion of the proceeds will to to the planned Folk Music Museum in Greenwich Village. The event, says First Amendment Center executive director Ken Paulson, is an acknowledgement that music has played a pivotal role in social movements throughout this century. The messages of the civil rights, womens rights, environmental and world peace movements were all amplified through song.... Freedom sings. And music matters.
- PHOTOS: Men of the Outback
- 16 Antigay Leaders Exposed as Gay or Bi
- Broadway Bares Gets Naked for the 25th Time
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- The 15 Best LGBT Summer Reads Include Anne Rice, Kevin Sessums