Janis Ian headlines Freedom Sings in New York
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 20 2001 11:00 PM ET
Lesbian singer Janis Ian will be headlining Freedom Sings, the First Amendment Centers special series of concerts celebrating freedom of expression through music, at the Bottom Line in Manhattans Greenwich Village. The bill also includes Marty Balin and Paul Kantner of Jefferson Starship as well as singer-songwriter Tom Paxton. The evening will be hosted by Dominic Chianese (The Sopranos), and a portion of the proceeds will to to the planned Folk Music Museum in Greenwich Village. The event, says First Amendment Center executive director Ken Paulson, is an acknowledgement that music has played a pivotal role in social movements throughout this century. The messages of the civil rights, womens rights, environmental and world peace movements were all amplified through song.... Freedom sings. And music matters.
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary
- Mississippi Marriage Ban Struck Down
- Antigay Activist: Buy My 'No Such Thing as Gay' Book
- Is the 'Not Gay No More' Guy for Real?
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School