Janis Ian headlines Freedom Sings in New York
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 21 2001 12:00 AM ET
Lesbian singer Janis Ian will be headlining Freedom Sings, the First Amendment Centers special series of concerts celebrating freedom of expression through music, at the Bottom Line in Manhattans Greenwich Village. The bill also includes Marty Balin and Paul Kantner of Jefferson Starship as well as singer-songwriter Tom Paxton. The evening will be hosted by Dominic Chianese (The Sopranos), and a portion of the proceeds will to to the planned Folk Music Museum in Greenwich Village. The event, says First Amendment Center executive director Ken Paulson, is an acknowledgement that music has played a pivotal role in social movements throughout this century. The messages of the civil rights, womens rights, environmental and world peace movements were all amplified through song.... Freedom sings. And music matters.
- WATCH: Gay Couple Assaulted at Dallas BBQ in Chelsea
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Mic-Drop on Antigay GOP's 'Slim Chances' at White House
- Drag Race's Trixie Mattel: 'I Actually Thought I Would Win'
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- POLL: Americans Prefer Gay President to Evangelical or Tea Partier
- WATCH: Janet Mock Gives Oprah 'Ah-Ha' Moments About Gender