Tom Cruise ordered to pay legal fees in gay libel suit
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 23 2001 12:00 AM ET
E! Online reports that a Los Angeles judge has ordered Tom Cruise to pay $27,900 in legal fees to Kristina Ann Kirstin, a woman named in Cruise's $100 million defamation suit against gay porn star Chad Slater (who performed under the name Kyle Bradford). After suing Slater for allegedly telling a French publication that Slater's affair with Cruise ended Cruise's marriage, the Jerry Maguire star expanded his suit to include Kirstin, who Cruise claims tried to sell a fake story to the National Enquirer saying her ex-husband, Slater, had left her for Cruise. Last week, however, superior court judge Aurelio Muñoz said that Cruise's testimony was contradictory--the complaint included a statement from Slater saying he didn't know Cruise, which Cruise's lawyers used to prove that Kirstin's tale was false. But Muñoz ruled that the statement would then contradict Cruise's original suit against Bradford. "Plaintiff is blowing both hot and cold in this same proceeding," reads the judge's statement. "This [declaration from Slater] is the only evidence to indicate [Kirstin] knew the story was false when she sold it. Plaintiff cannot have it both ways." Cruise's lawyers say they will fight the judicial order and will continue with their complaint against Slater, who has defaulted on the lawsuit and has said that he will file for bankruptcy if the case against him continues.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 19 min 28 sec ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 25 min 31 sec ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 1 hour 21 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 1 hour 51 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 2 hours 43 min ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM