Nathan Lane to star in Jackie Gleason biopic
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 05 2001 1:00 AM ET
Variety reports that openly gay actor Nathan Lane will star in To the Moon, a film biography of Honeymooners star Jackie Gleason. "Jackie Gleason has been a huge influence on me since I was a child," says Lane. "The thing that gets to me about him is that despite the bravado of his public persona and the broad hilarity of some of his comedy, there remains a tremendous amount of sadness and vulnerability in his eyes. Hopefully, we will explore that in the film." Writer Rob Festinger (In the Bedroom) is working on the script, which is being developed by Sydney Pollack and Anthony Minghella's Mirage Enterprises. "We're not interested in doing a linear biopic with the fat kid in the snow waiting for the father who never comes," added Lane.
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- WATCH: The Moment Ireland Said 'Yes' to Marriage Equality
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy