Nathan Lane to star in Jackie Gleason biopic
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 05 2001 1:00 AM ET
Variety reports that openly gay actor Nathan Lane will star in To the Moon, a film biography of Honeymooners star Jackie Gleason. "Jackie Gleason has been a huge influence on me since I was a child," says Lane. "The thing that gets to me about him is that despite the bravado of his public persona and the broad hilarity of some of his comedy, there remains a tremendous amount of sadness and vulnerability in his eyes. Hopefully, we will explore that in the film." Writer Rob Festinger (In the Bedroom) is working on the script, which is being developed by Sydney Pollack and Anthony Minghella's Mirage Enterprises. "We're not interested in doing a linear biopic with the fat kid in the snow waiting for the father who never comes," added Lane.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- WATCH: In Pat Robertson's Latest Diatribe, Gays Are 'Terrorists'
- That's Amoré! 11 Irresistible Images of What Happened When Rome Recognized Same-Sex Marriages
- In Their Own Words: Men of Color Explain Why They Take PrEP
- Idaho Gov. Begs Court to Reverse 'Bad Law' of Marriage Equality