Rosie O'Donnell attacks cheapskate celebrities
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 27 2002 1:00 AM ET
The New York Post reports that out talk show host Rosie O'Donnell had some choice words for the way many Hollywood celebrities handled the aftermath of the September 11 tragedies. Appearing on Fox News's The O'Reilly Factor, O'Donnell said she turned down an offer to participate in the "Tribute to Heroes" telethon because she felt organizers didn't push wealthy stars to donate more of their own money. "The fact that every single person who appeared on it, who had the ability to give that kind of money, yet did not and was not expected to by America, stunned me," said O'Donnell. She added that she was disappointed that six celebrities, whom she would not name, that she contacted refused to donate $1 million each to a relief fund. "I'm saying, you in America, you should expect your millionaires to give millions," said O'Donnell, who donated $1 million to the Red Cross. "Especially if they're going to stand on TV and ask the peasants for pennies."
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- Amber Heard: 'I Don't Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'