Janet Jackson under attack for duet with homophobic DJ
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 30 2002 12:00 AM ET
British activist organization OutRage! is calling for a boycott of and an apology from Janet Jackson for her new single, a duet with Jamaican DJ Beenie Man, whose songs have advocated violence against gays and lesbians in his home country. In "Damn" Beenie Man sings, "I'm dreaming of a new Jamaica / Come to execute all the gays," while in his recent song "Bad Man Chi Chi Man," he instructs listeners to chase gay DJs offstage and kill them.
Jackson, who has a substantial gay following, recently told an interviewer, "I don't mind people thinking that I'm gay or calling me gay. People are going to believe whatever they want. I love people regardless of sexual preference."
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Antigay Ky. Clerk Inadvertently Married This Queer Couple
- Jenny Boylan Tells Caitlyn Jenner: 'Don't Be a Stupid' Woman
- WATCH: How This 12-Year-Old Lacrosse Player Found His Courage