Janet Jackson under attack for duet with homophobic DJ
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 29 2002 11:00 PM ET
British activist organization OutRage! is calling for a boycott of and an apology from Janet Jackson for her new single, a duet with Jamaican DJ Beenie Man, whose songs have advocated violence against gays and lesbians in his home country. In "Damn" Beenie Man sings, "I'm dreaming of a new Jamaica / Come to execute all the gays," while in his recent song "Bad Man Chi Chi Man," he instructs listeners to chase gay DJs offstage and kill them.
Jackson, who has a substantial gay following, recently told an interviewer, "I don't mind people thinking that I'm gay or calling me gay. People are going to believe whatever they want. I love people regardless of sexual preference."
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM