Janet Jackson under attack for duet with homophobic DJ
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 30 2002 12:00 AM ET
British activist organization OutRage! is calling for a boycott of and an apology from Janet Jackson for her new single, a duet with Jamaican DJ Beenie Man, whose songs have advocated violence against gays and lesbians in his home country. In "Damn" Beenie Man sings, "I'm dreaming of a new Jamaica / Come to execute all the gays," while in his recent song "Bad Man Chi Chi Man," he instructs listeners to chase gay DJs offstage and kill them.
Jackson, who has a substantial gay following, recently told an interviewer, "I don't mind people thinking that I'm gay or calling me gay. People are going to believe whatever they want. I love people regardless of sexual preference."
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 2 hours 35 min ago
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM