Steve Kmetko and E! parted ways over contract dispute
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 07 2002 11:00 PM ET
Village Voice columnist Michael Musto reports that contract renegotiations and fan feedback were at the heart of the parting of the ways between out anchorman Steve Kmetko and the E! Entertainment Television cable channel. Kmetko's manager, Sandy Littman, tells Musto that Kmetko was getting insecure about renegotiating his contract with the network, and so before going on vacation he put the word out on www.SteveKmetko.com for fans to E-mail E! executive Mindy Herman to tell her they wanted to see Kmetko back on the channel. Fans evidently did so en masse, making Herman feel ambushed and that her privacy had been invaded. ("But it's a business E-mail," says Littman, "not personal.")
Following the E-mailing incident, says Littman, "E! made ultimatums to Steve, demanding that he forgo receiving all the agreed-to benefits under his contract and take less than had already been agreed to. E! made the decision for Steve not to work at E! any longer."
The network continues to have no official comment beyond its official message posted last week: "Steve Kmetko is no longer with the company. He is moving on to pursue other career endeavors. He was a great part of the team at E! and we certainly wish him the best personally and professionally."
- Women 9 Inspiring Women Backing LGBT Rights Around The World 0 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Can I Get HIV if I’m a Top? 1 min 44 sec ago
- Media How to Get a Job With Nate Silver 1 hour 34 min ago
- Parenting What's in My Dad Bag? 7:00 AM
- Politics Timeline: When Executive Orders Came First? 6:00 AM
- Current Issue One Issue Still Bucks The Trend for LGBT Equality 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 4:00 AM