Steve Kmetko and E! parted ways over contract dispute
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 08 2002 12:00 AM ET
Village Voice columnist Michael Musto reports that contract renegotiations and fan feedback were at the heart of the parting of the ways between out anchorman Steve Kmetko and the E! Entertainment Television cable channel. Kmetko's manager, Sandy Littman, tells Musto that Kmetko was getting insecure about renegotiating his contract with the network, and so before going on vacation he put the word out on www.SteveKmetko.com for fans to E-mail E! executive Mindy Herman to tell her they wanted to see Kmetko back on the channel. Fans evidently did so en masse, making Herman feel ambushed and that her privacy had been invaded. ("But it's a business E-mail," says Littman, "not personal.")
Following the E-mailing incident, says Littman, "E! made ultimatums to Steve, demanding that he forgo receiving all the agreed-to benefits under his contract and take less than had already been agreed to. E! made the decision for Steve not to work at E! any longer."
The network continues to have no official comment beyond its official message posted last week: "Steve Kmetko is no longer with the company. He is moving on to pursue other career endeavors. He was a great part of the team at E! and we certainly wish him the best personally and professionally."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM