Atom Egoyan's Ararat wins five Genies
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 15 2003 1:00 AM ET
Variety reports that director Atom Egoyan's epic film about the Armenian holocaust, Ararat, was honored with five Genie Awards in Toronto on Thursday; the Genies are the Oscars of Canadian film. Ararat's awards included Best Picture and a Best Supporting Actor Genie for Elias Koteas, who plays a gay character in the film. David Cronenberg was named Best Director for Spider, and Deepa Mehta, who explored lesbian themes in 1996's Fire, won Best Original Screenplay for Bollywood/Hollywood.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- First Gay Couple to Wed at West Point Turns Tables on Antigay Attacker
- Op-ed: Are Millennials More Racist Than Antigay?
- Another Marriage Equality Group Calls It Quits
- WATCH: Indiana Town Postpones LGBT Rights Vote Over Confusion