Schumacher to direct film adaptation of The Phantom of the Opera
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 19 2003 1:00 AM ET
Out director Joel Schumacher is set to direct Andrew Lloyd Webber's stage musical hit The Phantom of the Opera, which has struggled to get onto the screen for nearly a decade, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The cast has not been named, but key members will be announced Wednesday at the American Film Market in Santa Monica, Calif. Schumacher and Webber created a script several years ago and now intend to produce the film independently.
Phantom, with music by Webber and lyrics by Charles Hart and Richard Stilgoe, premiered in London in 1986 and opened on Broadway in 1988.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- t.A.T.u. Singer OK with Lesbians, But Being Gay Is 'Unmanly'
- WATCH: Straight Dad Punched For Calling Out Woman's Antigay Slurs
- WATCH: Students Silence Antigay Preacher With Song of Love