Sir Ian McKellen and J.K. Rowling headed for The Simpsons
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 28 2003 12:00 AM ET
The creator of Harry Potter, the world's most popular boy wizard, is set to cast a spell over the cult cartoon show The Simpsons, her spokeswoman said Wednesday. J.K. Rowling will bring a touch of magic to the animated sitcom about the dysfunctional family by appearing as herself in an episode set in England. "I can confirm that she did a voice-over for The Simpsons," the spokeswoman told Reuters. In the episode Rowling will meet beer-guzzling Homer Simpson and his family when they visit England to find a girl with whom Grandpa Simpson had a wartime fling. "The Simpsons bump into J.K. Rowling outside a bookshop, and they talk all about Harry Potter," Don Payne, executive producer of the cult cartoon, told The [London] Sun.
The episode will also feature openly gay Lord of the Rings star Sir Ian McKellen, the paper said. The family members go to see him perform Macbeth but bring him bad luck by saying the play's name aloud--in defiance of a well-known theatrical superstition. This leads to the actor's being hit by scaffolding and then struck by lightning.
Rowling and McKellen join dozens of stars such as Paul McCartney and Dustin Hoffman who have lent their voices to the show.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- PHOTOS: Cyndi Lauper and Friends Work to Bring LGBT Homeless Youth Home for the Holidays
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM