GLAAD Awards season kicks off in New York
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 10 2003 12:00 AM ET
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation held the first of its three annual awards events Monday, with the 14th annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York City. Rosie O'Donnell was honored with the Vito Russo Award for her contribution toward eliminating homophobia. ABC News's Diane Sawyer was recognized with the Excellence in Media Award as well as being honored with the TV journalism award for her interview with O'Donnell about adoption laws. O'Donnell received additional plaudits for a segment on her talk show, "Adopted by Gay Parents." Awards at the New York event also went to Edward Albee's play The Goat, or Who is Sylvia? as well as the off-Broadway musical Zanna Don't! and a Washington, D.C., production of Terrence McNally's Corpus Christi.
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- Op-ed: The Dire State of Louisiana LGBTs
- WATCH: You’ll Cry When You See What Happened During That Gay-Straight Prom Date
- PHOTOS: Homeless LGBT Youth Become Visible
- See Me: Derrick Cobb
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Miss Fame: I've Yet to Leave My 'Beauty Mark'