Who's coming out on The Simpsons?
July 27 2004 11:00 PM ET
One of the veteran cartoon stars of The Simpsons is coming out of the closet. The odds on who it might be would seem to favor sniveling yes-man Waylon Smithers, who for years has harbored a secret crush on his boss, the evil nuclear tycoon Mr. Burns. But the show's producers refused to tell the audience at last weekend's Comic-Con if he's the one. "We have a show where, to raise money, Springfield legalizes gay marriage," producer Al Jean said in San Diego. "Homer becomes a minister by going on the Internet and filling out a form. A longtime character comes out of the closet, but I'm not saying who." Matt Groening, the show's creator, joked to the audience: "It's Homer!" The cartoon's corrupt Mayor Quimby will also face a recall election in a forthcoming episode, similar to what befell former California governor Gray Davis last year. The producers won't say whether Rainier Wolfcastle, the Austrian action-star character who parodies Arnold Schwarzenegger, will run him out of office. Groening said he still plans to make a feature film version of The Simpsons but probably won't start on it until the conclusion of the TV series, which is heading into its 16th season. (AP)
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model