BY Advocate.com Editors
October 12 2009 3:35 PM ET
Singer Belinda Carlisle has redefined the term “cool mom” by filming a video in support of marriage equality and pleading for donations for Maine’s No on 1 campaign. In the video, Carlisle states that she recorded the PSA not as a musician and public figure, but as a mom. “My son, James, is gay, and I want him and every other gay person out there to have the same opportunities and rights that I’ve had in life.”
The Maine legislature extended equal marriage rights to same-sex couples in May, but opponents are working to overturn the law before it goes into effect. Carlisle, who lives in France with her husband, Morgan Mason, the former chief of protocol for President Ronald Reagan, urges viewers to visit ProtectMaineEquality.org and make a donation. “Together, let’s affirm equal rights for all Americans and give hope to young gay people, like my son, for a better future,” she states in the video.
Carlisle’s 17-year-old son, James Duke Mason, is a former congressional page and an outspoken proponent of gay rights. Mason has developed a following on websites such as Facebook and YouTube by urging young gay people to become more politically active.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM