BY Julie Bolcer
November 16 2009 10:50 AM ET
Country legend Dolly Parton appeared on The Joy Behar Show Friday and was asked whether she supports marriage equality.
“Would you say that you are pro–gay marriage?” asked Behar, noting that Parton’s background might suggest otherwise.
“I know that’s true,” acknowledged Parton. “I always say, ‘Sure, why can’t they get married? They should suffer like the rest of us do.’”
Behar also quizzed Parton about the secret behind the size of her large gay following and what she thinks of Houston megachurch pastor Joel Osteen, who recently said that "homosexuality is not God's best."
Watch the video below.
- Antigay Activist: Buy My 'No Such Thing as Gay' Book
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- Federal Judge Rules for Marriage Equality in Arkansas
- Right-Wing Group Targets Trans-Friendly Federal Nominee