BY Julie Bolcer
November 16 2009 11:50 AM ET
Country legend Dolly Parton appeared on The Joy Behar Show Friday and was asked whether she supports marriage equality.
“Would you say that you are pro–gay marriage?” asked Behar, noting that Parton’s background might suggest otherwise.
“I know that’s true,” acknowledged Parton. “I always say, ‘Sure, why can’t they get married? They should suffer like the rest of us do.’”
Behar also quizzed Parton about the secret behind the size of her large gay following and what she thinks of Houston megachurch pastor Joel Osteen, who recently said that "homosexuality is not God's best."
Watch the video below.
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Coming Out of the Closet in Front of the Cast of Mamma Mia
- Kentucky County Clerk Sued Over Denial of Marriage Licenses
- The Marriage Equality Photo Seen Round the World