Lackluster Sales Bog Down Lilith Fair
BY Julie Bolcer
May 19 2010 9:45 AM ET
As the Lilith Fair prepares to return after an 11-year hiatus, ticket sales for the festival of women’s music appear slow, according to cofounder Sarah McLachlan.
The tour, which features performers such as McLachlan, Sheryl Crow, Mary J. Blige, Carly Simon, Rihanna, and Selena Gomez, begins on June 27 and lasts through mid-August. Pioneering women’s acts like the Go-Go’s and the Bangles will join the tour on some dates.
Although some people have complained about the high cost of tickets, McLachlan told Reuters that although sales appear "pretty soft," the majority of Lilith tickets are affordable.
"There's about 300 seats out of 16,000 or whatever that are $250," said McLachlan. "Then there's 9,000 that are 25 dollars, so come on. We're working our hardest to have reasonably priced tickets so it can be accessible for everyone and that people will want to come. We might get slaughtered, I don't know, but I kind of have blind faith in the fact we're putting on a really great show and we always have, and that will bring people in the end."
Lilith Fair raised more than $10 million for North American women’s charities from in three years of operation from 1997 to 1999.
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM