Lackluster Sales Bog Down Lilith Fair
BY Julie Bolcer
May 19 2010 10:45 AM ET
As the Lilith Fair prepares to return after an 11-year hiatus, ticket sales for the festival of women’s music appear slow, according to cofounder Sarah McLachlan.
The tour, which features performers such as McLachlan, Sheryl Crow, Mary J. Blige, Carly Simon, Rihanna, and Selena Gomez, begins on June 27 and lasts through mid-August. Pioneering women’s acts like the Go-Go’s and the Bangles will join the tour on some dates.
Although some people have complained about the high cost of tickets, McLachlan told Reuters that although sales appear "pretty soft," the majority of Lilith tickets are affordable.
"There's about 300 seats out of 16,000 or whatever that are $250," said McLachlan. "Then there's 9,000 that are 25 dollars, so come on. We're working our hardest to have reasonably priced tickets so it can be accessible for everyone and that people will want to come. We might get slaughtered, I don't know, but I kind of have blind faith in the fact we're putting on a really great show and we always have, and that will bring people in the end."
Lilith Fair raised more than $10 million for North American women’s charities from in three years of operation from 1997 to 1999.
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM