Eminem Supports Gay Marriage
BY Julie Bolcer
June 17 2010 9:15 AM ET
Eminem, the rapper long associated with gay-bashing rhymes, expressed his support for marriage equality on the eve of the release of his new album, Recovery.
Born Marshall Mathers, Eminem spoke with Deborah Solomon, the Q&A columnist for The New York Times Magazine, and said that his view reflects “the new tolerant me.”
“You’ve been accused of writing gay-bashing lyrics in the past,” said Solomon. “Would you like to see gay marriage approved in Michigan, where you live?”
Eminem replied, “I think if two people love each other, then what the hell? I think that everyone should have the chance to be equally miserable, if they want.”
The 37-year-old rapper has fought his drug addictions with help from Elton John, now in the headlines for his performance at the wedding reception of Rush Limbaugh. Eminem and John performed together at the 2001 Grammy Awards after an uproar over the rapper's antigay lyrics.
Read the full interview here.
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 50 min 22 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 1 hour 49 min ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 1 hour 50 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM