Eminem Supports Gay Marriage
BY Julie Bolcer
June 17 2010 10:15 AM ET
Eminem, the rapper long associated with gay-bashing rhymes, expressed his support for marriage equality on the eve of the release of his new album, Recovery.
Born Marshall Mathers, Eminem spoke with Deborah Solomon, the Q&A columnist for The New York Times Magazine, and said that his view reflects “the new tolerant me.”
“You’ve been accused of writing gay-bashing lyrics in the past,” said Solomon. “Would you like to see gay marriage approved in Michigan, where you live?”
Eminem replied, “I think if two people love each other, then what the hell? I think that everyone should have the chance to be equally miserable, if they want.”
The 37-year-old rapper has fought his drug addictions with help from Elton John, now in the headlines for his performance at the wedding reception of Rush Limbaugh. Eminem and John performed together at the 2001 Grammy Awards after an uproar over the rapper's antigay lyrics.
Read the full interview here.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 5 min 30 sec ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 9 min 16 sec ago
- Politicians Harvey Milk Day: First Park in Nation Named for Rights Pioneer 22 min 9 sec ago
- Entertainment News Karl Lagerfeld's Cat Has A Better Life Than You 55 min 52 sec ago
- Health News AIDS Deaths Plummet In Africa 58 min 48 sec ago
- Military PHOTOS: Shirtless, Sweaty Naval Academy Freshman Climb Greased Obelisk 1 hour 9 min ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer and Amber Tamblyn Watch Porn and Make Out 1 hour 21 min ago