Blake Shelton Sorry for Homophobic Tweet
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 05 2011 10:55 AM ET
Country music star and Voice judge Blake Shelton apologized for a tweet he sent Wednesday in which he advocated homophobic violence while
parodying a Shania Twain song.
La Figa reports on Shelton, who said he was “Re-writing my fav Shania Twain song” when he tweeted, “Any man that tries Touching my behind He’s gonna be a beaten, bleedin’, heaving kind of guy ... ”
After news reports and backlash from fans, Shelton stressed that he is not antigay, and that he apologized "for the misunderstanding with the whole re-write on the Shania song last night." He added, "It honestly wasn't even meant that way ... I now know that their [sic] are people out there waiting to jump at everything I say on here or everywhere. ... But when it comes to gay/lesbian rights or just feelings ... I love everybody. So go look for a real villain and leave me out of it."
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation Thursday morning called on the singer to apologize, and GLAAD officials said they had contacted producers at The Voice, known for being a gay-friendly show. After GLAAD contacted NBC and the show's producers, Shelton offered his apologetic tweet.
Over the weekend, Shelton, a popular judge on the NBC singing program, cracked an antigay joke when he hosted the Academy of Country Music Awards with Reba McEntire. He suggested that Jake Gyllenhaal had left Taylor Swift because the actor “was in Brokeback Mountain,” which prompted laughter from the audience in Las Vegas.
The homophobic tweet prompted an outcry, leading Shelton to initially call his critics "dumb asses" on Twitter, where he also suggested their concerns represent "antigay hate tweets."
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics WATCH: Obama's Morehouse Commencement Speech Name-Checks Gay Rights 2 hours 34 min ago
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City 2 hours 55 min ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 6:00 PM