Blake Shelton Sorry for Homophobic Tweet
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 05 2011 9:55 AM ET
Country music star and Voice judge Blake Shelton apologized for a tweet he sent Wednesday in which he advocated homophobic violence while
parodying a Shania Twain song.
La Figa reports on Shelton, who said he was “Re-writing my fav Shania Twain song” when he tweeted, “Any man that tries Touching my behind He’s gonna be a beaten, bleedin’, heaving kind of guy ... ”
After news reports and backlash from fans, Shelton stressed that he is not antigay, and that he apologized "for the misunderstanding with the whole re-write on the Shania song last night." He added, "It honestly wasn't even meant that way ... I now know that their [sic] are people out there waiting to jump at everything I say on here or everywhere. ... But when it comes to gay/lesbian rights or just feelings ... I love everybody. So go look for a real villain and leave me out of it."
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation Thursday morning called on the singer to apologize, and GLAAD officials said they had contacted producers at The Voice, known for being a gay-friendly show. After GLAAD contacted NBC and the show's producers, Shelton offered his apologetic tweet.
Over the weekend, Shelton, a popular judge on the NBC singing program, cracked an antigay joke when he hosted the Academy of Country Music Awards with Reba McEntire. He suggested that Jake Gyllenhaal had left Taylor Swift because the actor “was in Brokeback Mountain,” which prompted laughter from the audience in Las Vegas.
The homophobic tweet prompted an outcry, leading Shelton to initially call his critics "dumb asses" on Twitter, where he also suggested their concerns represent "antigay hate tweets."
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM