Making It Official
BY Advocate Contributors
November 18 2011 4:00 AM ET
Less than a decade ago, only 70 American newspapers were publishing same-sex wedding announcements. But on the heels of California’s controversial Proposition 8, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation conducted a poll in 2008 and determined that the number had increased to nearly 1,100, indicating that 83% of U.S. newspaper readers are served by a paper with an inclusive policy.
But before you send out that portrait of you and your betrothed, it pays to know which publications remain the high-profile holdouts, including New Hampshire’s largest newspaper, the Manchester-based Union Leader. Publisher Joe McQuaid says the paper isn’t antigay but believes marriage is between a man and a woman. And there’s St. George, Utah’s The Spectrum, which made news two years ago for accepting a paid wedding announcement from a former resident who legally married his husband in San Francisco, then rejecting it. Spectrum publisher Donnie Welch said it is policy to run announcements only of marriages recognized by Utah law.
Still, change seems to be at hand even in the most conservative states. The Dallas Morning News, the newspaper with the second-highest circulation in Texas, changed its policy in July to list announcements of same-sex marriages — at least, those from states where such marriages are legally recognized — under “Weddings” instead of the separate category “Commitments.” It was “the right thing to do,” said publisher James M. Moroney III.
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- Op-ed: Pope Francis Has Not Made Good on Transgender Rights
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars December 19 2013 11:06 PM
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out December 19 2013 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain December 19 2013 6:33 PM
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny December 19 2013 6:18 PM