WATCH: Sean Penn's New Gender Bending Role
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
September 07 2012 12:10 PM ET
Sean Penn, who has a legion of gay fans from his role as the eponymous leader in Milk, is gending bending in his newest film, This Must be the Place. In the video we learn Penn's character, Cheyenne, is an aging rock star with long hair, makeup, and a sweet and softspoken demeaner. All the press materials calls Cheyenne "he," but you'd be hard pressed not to see some nods to transgender life in the role, too. Upon learning his father is dead, Cheyenne decides to hunt down the Nazi war criminal (in hiding in the U.S.) who humiliated papa during the war — going on a journey of self-discovery along the way. Frances McDormand (always a scene stealer) plays Jane, someone who loves Cheyenne, though it's not clear if she's the wife or girlfriend or some other intimate partner.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 0 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 49 min 13 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 53 min 13 sec ago
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 3:02 PM
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 2:53 PM
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 2:49 PM