New App Helps Find Safe Bathroom for LGBT Users
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
August 04 2012 12:54 PM ET
From the much lauded Safe2Pee project comes what's thought to be the first iPhone app that helps users find gender neutral bathrooms in any neighborhood.TranSquat is a gender neutral bathroom finder for iPhone users that locates bathrooms that are gender free relative to the users current location. It uses the phone's current GPS location to search, add and share nearby safe locations with other users.
Violence against transgender and gender variant individuals often happens near restrooms. TransSquat, which uses S2P's nationwide directory of 4,000 gender neutral bathrooms in the U.S., U.K., and Canada, is user driven so users can help build it by downloading it and sharing safe locations from their own communities.
Though TransSquat was created by trans activists, it's popular with not just trans and gender variant folks but as well by many non-trans women who share their concerns about finding safe, discreet, and comfortable restrooms in some areas.
TranSquat can currently be downloaded from the Apple App Store.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM