Gay Newspaper Thief Caught at Nashville's Vanderbilt University
BY Neal Broverman
August 09 2012 3:10 PM ET
A woman has been trashing piles of the Out & About LGBT newspaper for more than a year at Nashville's Vanderbilt University, but the thief has finally been caught.
Surveillance cameras repeatedly caught a woman grabbing the Out & About issues and dumping them in a recycling bin.
“We’ve asked for help from Vanderbilt police and from Vanderbilt’s Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action and Disability Services Office,” Jerry Jones, publisher of Out & About, said Wednesday on the newspaper's website. “While they expressed great concern that a potential employee or student could be doing this, they offered no assistance in making it stop unless we secured the identity of the person responsible."
But Out & About just reported that Vanderbilt authorities nabbed the woman, who has worked for the university for three decades. Vanderbilt police agreed to get involved after Out & About created signage indicating the first newspaper was free and each additional copy cost 50 cents. The woman's identity has not yet been released. Read more here.
- New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill
- Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013 5:00 AM
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists: 'We Have to Stay and Fight' December 20 2013 8:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Photo from Utah: First Gay Couple Married December 20 2013 7:40 PM
- Women LISTEN: Out Folk Duo Hannah & Maggie's Lesbian Love Letter to Mrs. Claus December 20 2013 6:46 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert December 20 2013 4:55 PM
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt December 20 2013 4:48 PM