Jake Shears: Donna Summer Provided Soundtrack To Gay Liberation
BY Jeremy Kinser
May 19 2012 1:28 PM ET
Jake Shears, the out frontman for the dance quintet Scissor Sisters, says his band is indebted to the music of Donna Summer, which he says was the soundtrack of the gay liberation movement, during an interview with Britain's Channel 4 news.
"We owe a ton to Donna Summer, as do so many others," Shears says of the late recording artist whose hits such as "Hot Stuff" and "I Feel Love" helped define the era following the Stonewall riots.
"I don't think we would be here without her. You really cannot underestimate (sic) the importance of her music and the influence that she had over pop music, over the dance world. She was the soundtrack to the gay liberation movement of the '70s. It's a massive loss and it's really amazing to think what a huge impact she had."
As for the career-damaging antigay comments attributed to Summer, and which she later denied every making, Shears is understanding. "I think that she said some things as time went on into the '80s and, you know, I think she realized eventually that, you know...She was such a lovely woman and I really think that she really deserves all our respect."
Summer died Thursday of lung cancer at age 63. Magic Hour, the latest album from the Scissor Sisters, will be released May 28.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Op-ed: Separate or Together?
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM