Jake Shears: Donna Summer Provided Soundtrack To Gay Liberation
BY Jeremy Kinser
May 19 2012 2:28 PM ET
Jake Shears, the out frontman for the dance quintet Scissor Sisters, says his band is indebted to the music of Donna Summer, which he says was the soundtrack of the gay liberation movement, during an interview with Britain's Channel 4 news.
"We owe a ton to Donna Summer, as do so many others," Shears says of the late recording artist whose hits such as "Hot Stuff" and "I Feel Love" helped define the era following the Stonewall riots.
"I don't think we would be here without her. You really cannot underestimate (sic) the importance of her music and the influence that she had over pop music, over the dance world. She was the soundtrack to the gay liberation movement of the '70s. It's a massive loss and it's really amazing to think what a huge impact she had."
As for the career-damaging antigay comments attributed to Summer, and which she later denied every making, Shears is understanding. "I think that she said some things as time went on into the '80s and, you know, I think she realized eventually that, you know...She was such a lovely woman and I really think that she really deserves all our respect."
Summer died Thursday of lung cancer at age 63. Magic Hour, the latest album from the Scissor Sisters, will be released May 28.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go'
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 1 hour 20 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 1 hour 24 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 2 hours 40 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM