WATCH: Queen Latifah Performs For 'Her People' at Pride
BY Jeremy Kinser
May 21 2012 6:28 PM ET
"I've been waiting to do this for a long time," Queen Latifah revealed to a welcoming crowd during a performance at Long Beach Pride over the weekend.
The May 19 concert marked Latifah's first performance at an LGBT festival. According to the website Eurweb, the entertainer referred to the crowd as "her people." During her short set, Latifah asked the audience, "Are you feeling all the unity?"
The announcement that Grammy Award-winner would headline the beach city's 29th annual LGBT festival was a surprise to many. Pat Crosby, co-president of Long Beach Pride, released a statement, saying, "From hip to R&B, pop to standards, Queen Latifah is the voice of our generation, and her concert here will be phenomenal, for her to make her worldwide Pride debut here in Long Beach is a tremendous testament to the popularity of our celebration and to the strength of our community.”
Latifah will soon be seen in the Lifetime remake of the popular tearjerker Steel Magnolias, which she is coexecutive-producing with Craig Zadan and Neil Meron.
Website NoMoreDownlowTV posted video of the performance. Watch it below.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Report: Couple Refuses Deal in Torture Case
- WATCH: Bianca Del Rio and Adore Delano Star in Starbucks' First LGBT Commercial
- 20 Touching, Funny, and Silly Twitter Reactions to Tim Cook's Coming-Out
- WATCH: Meet the Gay Couple Who Challenged Singapore's Sodomy Ban
- Tim Cook: Being Gay Has Helped Me Lead Apple