EXCLUSIVE: Stevie Wonder Apologizes for Frank Ocean Comment
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 01 2012 1:14 AM ET
In an exclusive statement to The Advocate, music legend Stevie Wonder apologizes for a previous comment that implied Frank Ocean might be confused about his sexual orientation, saying, "love is love, between a man and a woman, a woman and a man, a woman and a woman and a man and a man."
In an interview with the U.K. paper The Guardian, Wonder was asked about the media sensation caused by Ocean, the out hip-hop performer whose acclaimed hit album Channel Orange has drawn numerous comparisons with the veteran musician. "I think honestly, some people who think they're gay, they're confused," Wonder said to the paper. "People can misconstrue closeness for love. People can feel connected, they bond. I'm not saying all [gay people are confused]. Some people have a desire to be with the same sex. But that's them."
Wonder now clarifies his comment with an exclusive statement to The Advocate, saying, "I’m sorry that my words about anyone feeling confused about their love were misunderstood. No one has been a greater advocate for the power of love in this world than I; both in my life and in my music. Clearly, love is love, between a man and a woman, a woman and a man, a woman and a woman and a man and a man. What I’m not confused about is the world needing much more love, no hate, no prejudice, no bigotry and more unity, peace and understanding. Period."
- Year in Review Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013 5:30 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 12 Excellent Gifts for Those Who Indulge 4:19 AM
- Women WATCH: Gaga & Xtina's Amazing '70s-era Lesbian Duet of "Do What U Want!" 2:04 AM
- Marriage Equality NOH8 Founders Adam Bouska & Jeff Parshley on Campaign's 5th Anniversary December 17 2013 9:23 PM
- Travel What's Hot in England for 2014 December 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Women WATCH: Adorable Lesbian Takes on How to Practice the Smells and Sounds of Sex! December 17 2013 8:10 PM
- Politics Obama, Biden Won't Be at Olympics December 17 2013 6:34 PM