Britney Spears Works Vegas Debut
BY Jase Peeples
December 29 2013 4:00 AM ET
Britney Spears kicked off her two-year residency at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas Friday night and delivered an impressive performance that left many in the audience claiming the pop performer has officially returned to her entertaining ways of old.
Though Spears received some criticism for appearing to lip sync a majority of the songs in her "Piece of Me" revue, the show’s incredible costumes, intriguing set design, and intricate choreography – which the performer seemed to tackle with ease – earned the iconic performer thunderous applause throughout the evening.
The Advocate was in attendance along with a long list of celebrity spectators, including Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, Adam Lambert, Selena Gomez, and Mario Lopez – who Spears dragged up on stage for a playful S&M-themed performance of “Freakshow” in which she spanked her former X-Factor co-star with a riding crop as he crawled across the stage.
"Work Bitch" – the same track Spears told The Advocate earlier this month was inspired because it was "a term of endearment among my gay friends" – opened the show before the performer launched into a steady stream of her biggest hits.
Seven costume changes and a variety of wig switches ensured “Piece of Me” was generously sprinkled with the signature style spectators have come to expect from a Vegas revue while maintaining the persona the pop performer has cultivated over the years.
"I'm going to be extremely nervous the first show," Spears told The Advocate a few weeks before "Piece of Me" was to debut. "But I know I'm just going to put my nerves aside and pull it together."
However, for those in the audience, it was obvious Spears didn’t simply "pull it together," she did indeed work, bitch.
View highlights from the show in the video clips and photos below.
Photo Credits: David Becker & Denise Truscello
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Truly Social Networking
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 35 min 11 sec ago
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 1 hour 36 min ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM