Sherman Hemsley Remains Unburied Due to Will Dispute
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 30 2012 12:01 PM ET
The embalmed body of actor Sherman Hemsley, best known for portraying TV's George Jefferson, is being kept refrigerated in a funeral home in El Paso, Texas, until a local court decides on the validity of his will, reports Associated Press.
Richard Thornton, who claims to be Hemsley's brother, is disputing a will the actor signed six weeks prior to his death from lung cancer at age 74 on July 24. In it Hemsley named Flora Enchinton as sole beneficiary of his estate, valued at more than $50,000. Hemsley also refers to Enchinton as a "beloved partner."
Enchinton says she had been friends with Hemsley and had even been his manager for more than two decades. During this time she lived with Hemsley and Hemsley's friend Kenny Johnston, 76. Enchinton tells AP Hemsley never mentioned any relatives.
"Some people come out of the woodwork — they think Sherman, they think money," Enchinton tells AP. "But the fact is that I did not know Sherman when he was in the limelight. I met them when they [Hemsley and Johnston] came running from Los Angeles with not one penny, when there was nothing but struggle."
While there was no official confirmation during his lifetime, there was frequent speculation that Hemsley, famed for his portrayal of the bigoted dry cleaning mogul on the hit sitcom The Jeffersons, was a gay man. A 2007 VH1 story that listed three favorite allegedly gay black actors from the past put Hemsley in the top spot.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 26 min 1 sec ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 30 min 28 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1 hour 45 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 2 hours 34 min ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM