Paula Deen: I'm Just Like That Black Football Player
BY Michelle Garcia
February 27 2014 1:23 PM ET
Paula Deen knows Michael Sam's pain.
The former Food Network star was forced out of her cooking-show gig last year after it was revealed that she used racist language in the workplace in the past.
"I feel like 'embattled' or 'disgraced' will always follow my name. It's like that black football player who recently came out. He said, 'I just want to be known as a football player," she said. "I don't want to be known as a gay football player.' I know exactly what he's saying. I'm fighting to get my name back."
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- Reality Special My Husband’s Not Gay: Deep in Denial?
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Op-ed: Trans Glamour Versus Trans Activism
- Hands Down, the Single Best Quote of 2014
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment