Paula Deen: I'm Just Like That Black Football Player
BY Michelle Garcia
February 27 2014 2:23 PM ET
Paula Deen knows Michael Sam's pain.
The former Food Network star was forced out of her cooking-show gig last year after it was revealed that she used racist language in the workplace in the past.
"I feel like 'embattled' or 'disgraced' will always follow my name. It's like that black football player who recently came out. He said, 'I just want to be known as a football player," she said. "I don't want to be known as a gay football player.' I know exactly what he's saying. I'm fighting to get my name back."
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- #TBT: Breaking the Gay Code in the Movies
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- The Art of the Hookup
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'