Paula Deen: I'm Just Like That Black Football Player
BY Michelle Garcia
February 27 2014 2:23 PM ET
Paula Deen knows Michael Sam's pain.
The former Food Network star was forced out of her cooking-show gig last year after it was revealed that she used racist language in the workplace in the past.
"I feel like 'embattled' or 'disgraced' will always follow my name. It's like that black football player who recently came out. He said, 'I just want to be known as a football player," she said. "I don't want to be known as a gay football player.' I know exactly what he's saying. I'm fighting to get my name back."
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- Artist Spotlight: Paul Reitz
- Hot Sheet: It's Ryan Time Again
- WATCH: Single Mothers Make Boys Gay, Says Pat Robertson
- #27BiStories: Why a Bisexual's Sexual Orientation Is Still Important Even If They're in a Relationship
- Laverne Cox Distances Herself From Controversial Trans Inmate