Paula Deen: I'm Just Like That Black Football Player
BY Michelle Garcia
February 27 2014 2:23 PM ET
Paula Deen knows Michael Sam's pain.
The former Food Network star was forced out of her cooking-show gig last year after it was revealed that she used racist language in the workplace in the past.
"I feel like 'embattled' or 'disgraced' will always follow my name. It's like that black football player who recently came out. He said, 'I just want to be known as a football player," she said. "I don't want to be known as a gay football player.' I know exactly what he's saying. I'm fighting to get my name back."
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- LSU Fraternity Faces Heat For Crass Michael Sam Banner
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- LGBT People Are Driving an Upheaval in Video Games
- I'm From Driftwood Presents: 'You're Bisexual? Then Why Not Choose To Be Normal?'
- Op-ed: My Dad and I Helped Each Other Come Out