Paula Deen: I'm Just Like That Black Football Player
BY Michelle Garcia
February 27 2014 2:23 PM ET
Paula Deen knows Michael Sam's pain.
The former Food Network star was forced out of her cooking-show gig last year after it was revealed that she used racist language in the workplace in the past.
"I feel like 'embattled' or 'disgraced' will always follow my name. It's like that black football player who recently came out. He said, 'I just want to be known as a football player," she said. "I don't want to be known as a gay football player.' I know exactly what he's saying. I'm fighting to get my name back."
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 54 min 16 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 2 hours 17 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 2 hours 33 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 49 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM