BY John Jameson
September 09 2008 11:00 PM ET
was just 16 when he moved to Los Angeles from his hometown
of Austin four years ago. On a mission to follow his heart,
Ritchie says he wasn’t about to let his gayness
-- or deafness -- hold him back from discovering his
true path, which has led him most recently to season 4 of
The Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency. Ritchie
is one of 12 new models recruited this time around.
Dickinson has vacated her Hollywood office and moved
the agency into a Big Brother–type “model
house” in the Hollywood hills, where she can keep
tabs on the models’ diets, exercise regimens,
and extracurricular activities. The Advocate caught
up with Ritchie on the eve of the season’s
premiere on the Oxygen channel (Tuesdays at 10; check
Which is the bigger challenge: being the only gay
model in the JDMA house or the only deaf model? I’d say being the only deaf model is the
bigger challenge. Also, J.P. Calderon [from season 2]
has moved into the house, and knowing he’s gay
makes me feel better and more comfortable in some ways.
Have any of the models attempted to learn sign language? They certainly have shown sincerity, kindness,
and respect toward me, which I appreciate. Some of
them really wanted to learn sign language, and I
thought that was really sweet.
Can you lip-read? If so, have you caught any of the
models talking trash about you? I can read lips -- a few times I thought I saw
some of the models talking about me. But seriously,
Janice lives in the house! Is she mommie dearest?[Laughs] I’d say the models see her as a
den mother -- it’s a good thing!
Janice loves the gays. Does this give you an advantage? Maybe, but truthfully, she loves everyone. I
believe she loves gay men because they know how to
Are you taken? I’m single.
Do you prefer hearing men or deaf men? Strangely, I prefer dating hearing men.
If modeling isn’t in your future, what would you
like to do? I would be a dentist! I am so obsessed with
teeth. Seriously. Whitening, flossing, etc. I even
look out for my friends’ teeth!
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 2 hours 7 min ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM