You Better Work!
BY Dan Avery
January 30 2009 1:00 AM ET
Every good reality show has a great exit line.
What’s yours? Shante…you stay; sashay…away.
Ouch. Being read by RuPaul must be a fate worse
than death for a drag queen. Why do you think the
contestants put themselves through such a fierce competition? Well, there’s obviously a big cash prize
and sponsorships from M.A.C. and Absolut. But really,
it’s about the fame. We all want it. And millions of
people will see them on Logo or download them off YouTube or
wherever. Our society is still so fixated on gender
roles and crossing those lines. On one hand
we’re obsessed with masculinity, but we love them
Are you a fan of any other reality shows? Is Judge Judy a reality show? That and
The Golden Girls are really all I watch. I just
love Judy. In a world of so much bullshit, you get an hour
of straight talk. Someone who bases their decision on
the law, not on fashion or emotion. She’s for
You recently released an amazing photo-illustration
of yourself as both Michelle and Barack Obama. Are you
excited about the Obama presidency? C’mon, you know how I feel about that! We
have a saying on the show: “If you’re
watching this, it means a Democrat is in the White
House.” His election signaled a real shift in
our culture after all this coldness and fear. But
we’re in such a bad place right now. I really hope he
gets a chance to turn things around.
Do you think you’ll be invited to stay in the
Lincoln bedroom? That’d be great! [Laughs] Keep
your fingers crossed!
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Boy Scouts Timeline
- Porn Star Wilfried Knight Commits Suicide After Long Battle With Immigration
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 36 min 3 sec ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM