BY Michael Fairman
October 09 2009 10:15 AM ET
You get the script that says “she pretends to be gay,” and it must have bothered you making sure that it did not offend the LGBT audience while at the same time trying to entertain?
We get the scripts five days before we have to say the words. What disturbed me was taking a cause that I love and believe in as Robin and portraying Dorian using it, because what we would put out on the TV screen has an impact. I wanted to be certain what I wanted to do as an actor in a story but yet protect the character. It became obvious there was no other way to play it but a kind of momentary -- well, it does last a while -- sort of narcissism run wild. Her mouth was just ... “I am gay; this is my partner, yes, yes.” Starr and Langston look at me and go, “You are so not gay!”
Will Dorian’s charade continue after the same-sex ceremonies?
We shall see. Dorian’s family knows it’s all smoke up everybody’s piñata! [Laughs]
Erika Slezak [Viki] and you have been the true supercouple of Llanview. Your historic battles are the backdrop from which all things spring. When you got the scripts that it’s Viki versus Dorian for the mayor’s race, what went through your mind?
Hooray! Ka-ching! Anytime they write “There is a look of understanding between the two,” I go, “Oh, no, no. There goes my career!” We have to keep that heat going underneath, and that’s a good thing. I like it best when we are adversarial and then my need for her approval is the counterpoint to that, and that is what I bring. I just gave away a recipe to how I play Dorian ... a secret ingredient!
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- WATCH: Jon Stewart 'Sort of' Stands With Fox News in Defending Duck Dynasty Star
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists: 'We Have to Stay and Fight' December 20 2013 8:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Photo from Utah: First Gay Couple Married December 20 2013 7:40 PM
- Women LISTEN: Out Folk Duo Hannah & Maggie's Lesbian Love Letter to Mrs. Claus December 20 2013 6:46 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert December 20 2013 4:55 PM
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt December 20 2013 4:48 PM
- Entertainment News Make These Golden Girls Legos Happen! December 20 2013 4:44 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Small Hotel or Resort December 20 2013 4:34 PM