BY Michael Fairman
October 09 2009 11:15 AM ET
You get the script that says “she pretends to be gay,” and it must have bothered you making sure that it did not offend the LGBT audience while at the same time trying to entertain?
We get the scripts five days before we have to say the words. What disturbed me was taking a cause that I love and believe in as Robin and portraying Dorian using it, because what we would put out on the TV screen has an impact. I wanted to be certain what I wanted to do as an actor in a story but yet protect the character. It became obvious there was no other way to play it but a kind of momentary -- well, it does last a while -- sort of narcissism run wild. Her mouth was just ... “I am gay; this is my partner, yes, yes.” Starr and Langston look at me and go, “You are so not gay!”
Will Dorian’s charade continue after the same-sex ceremonies?
We shall see. Dorian’s family knows it’s all smoke up everybody’s piñata! [Laughs]
Erika Slezak [Viki] and you have been the true supercouple of Llanview. Your historic battles are the backdrop from which all things spring. When you got the scripts that it’s Viki versus Dorian for the mayor’s race, what went through your mind?
Hooray! Ka-ching! Anytime they write “There is a look of understanding between the two,” I go, “Oh, no, no. There goes my career!” We have to keep that heat going underneath, and that’s a good thing. I like it best when we are adversarial and then my need for her approval is the counterpoint to that, and that is what I bring. I just gave away a recipe to how I play Dorian ... a secret ingredient!
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 2 hours 32 min ago
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM