Sarah Silverman's Wild Mustache Ride
BY Brandon Voss
February 03 2010 3:00 PM ET
When it comes to your film work, I — along with most show queens I know — enjoy your cameo as Alexi Darling in the 2005 Rent film adaptation. What sticks out most in your mind about that experience?
I had a huge zit and the makeup woman was so put out by it. She was like, "Ugh, I can’t even cover this. We’re going to have to make it into a mole or something.” I was so embarrassed and felt so bad. But from there I walked to set with Idina Menzel, who was so cool to me and cheered me up. I also fell in love with Chris Columbus, the director, who is proof that you don’t have to be mean or douchey to be a big shot director; you can be just lovely and still do great work.
When you were nominated for an Emmy last year for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series, one of the funniest moments of the ceremony was your fake mustache. What’s the story behind that gag?
I had the idea since the day I found out I was nominated. We were in the middle of shooting an episode where I had a mustache — our premiere episode. I knew I had no chance of winning, but I didn’t care because this mustache idea made me giggle so much. Amy Poehler had a similar idea — she wanted to take the air out of the Emmys and had everyone in her category fuck around too — so it was awesome.
You ultimately lost to Toni Collette, but you did win a Creative Arts Emmy for writing “I’m Fucking Matt Damon” back in 2008. So who are you fucking in 2010?
Who aren’t I fucking?! Right?! Am I right, folks?!
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad