Modern Family Named Best TV Show By Catholic Group
BY Jeremy Kinser
May 02 2012 7:41 PM ET
Modern Family, ABC's hit sitcom which features a loving and realistic gay family among its main characters, has a 2012 award as best television program by the group Catholics in Media Associates, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Despite being well-received by audiences and critics alike, the series is obviously a surprising choice for the religious organization's award. Besides gay couple Cameron (Eric Stonestreet) and Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) having emerged as breakout fan favorites, an episode in January an episode of the comedy drew the ire of the Parents Television Council. In it the couple's pre-schoolage daughter Lily (Aubrey Anderson-Emmons) uttered the F-word, which caused the PTC to issue a statement saying, "It's not suitable language for a child that young in the real world, and it's not suitable language for a child that young on television, either." Ferguson quickly acknowledged the positive side of controversy. When people find anything to nit-pick about, it's a good thing I think," he said.
CIMA president Haskell Vaughn Anderson III says the group's mission is "not to criticize what we don't like, but to praise what we do."
Approximately 300 professionals from the entertainment industry attended the April 29 event at the Crystal Ballroom at the Beverly Hills Hotel, which followed a pre-brunch Mass.
The non-profit was founded in 1992 by Father Tony Scannel and other Catholics working in the entertainment industry. For more information go to CatholicsInMedia.org.
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Asked About Pope's Civil Unions Comment 3 min 41 sec ago
- Retirement Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia 1 hour 18 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 2 hours 7 min ago
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM