Ricky Martin Signs Deal For TV Series
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 30 2012 2:39 PM ET
Versatile entertainer Ricky Martin may be headed to the small screen after he completes his acclaimed run in the smash Broadway revival of Evita, according to Deadline.
The singer-actor has reportedly signed a talent holding deal with Universal Television to develop and star in a network television series and TV specials. Universal TV EVP Bela Bajaria is elated by Martin's potential. “Ricky is an iconic superstar who is as talented as he is popular,” she says. “Whether he’s performing before sold-out concert crowds, or starring on Broadway, where he is currently playing to SRO in Evita, Ricky connects with his audience in a very palpable way – and we are thrilled that he will be adding TV star to his incredible resume."
Perhaps Martin will turn to his friend, super-producer Ryan Murphy for assistance. Besides his torrid turn as Che in Evita, earlier this year Martin shook up Glee fans and cast memembers alike during a guest appearance as a Spanish instructor. Murphy, a creator of the musical-comedy, developed the character for Martin, and said at the time, "If he'd relocate to L.A., I'd write a TV show for him in a heartbeat."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 1 hour 52 min ago
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 2 hours 28 min ago
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 2 hours 56 min ago
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 4:34 AM
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 4:00 AM
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 4:00 AM